Fire Damage Dos and Dont's
The most frequently asked question we have from our clients with fire and smoke damage is "What do I do until help arrives?"
Safety is always the number one priority for everyone involved, from resident to property manager to service providers. If at any time a situation feels unsafe, trust your instincts and wait until help arrives to take care of the damage.
If the circumstances are safe, the following emergency tips will assisy you in taking the proper action until your service provider arrives.
Fire & Smoke Damage
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- If the electricity is off, empty freezer and leave the door open to prevent odor buildup.
- Gently wash the leaves of house plants.
- Consume any food or drinks that were stored near the fire, whether sealed or not the heat could penetrate the packaging causing it to spoil.
- DIY clean the rugs, upholstery, clothing, or soft goods. Leave it to the professionals to clean the soot and odor from these materials.
- Attempt to wipe down the walls/ceiling without consulting a professional first.